Below you will find some exercises that you can perform with your children, according to their stage of development. Don't forget that your affective activity during the time of the stimulation will facilitate or hinder the process. Also, while you're with your child, talk to him, smile and praise their efforts.
Expert: Andrés Muñoz, chief of the Pediatric Service of the Clinical Hospital of the University of Chile
Stimulation of freshly born (0 – 1 month)
Stimulation of reflexes
- Take advantage of the reflexes of sucking and swallowing to initiate and establish an appropriate breast milk the best food.
- Touch her with different objects, (taking into account that they are hygienic) the lips of the baby, for example, use of the nipple, a finger, a cotton swab, etc
- Place a drop of milk on the baby's lips and wait for his reaction reflects.
- When you put the child to the breast, place the nipple in different regions, commissure, left, or right of the lips, upper lip, or lower, the cheeks, increasingly moving away from the lips.
- When you take the child, paséelo for environments of different lighting, for the baby to adapt their eyes to these blinking or closing the eyes in environments of clear and dilate the pupils in dark places. Play with changes of lighting and shadows.
- Place your finger on the palm of the hand of the child, to which this closing the hand.
- Face the child within his or her visual field to look at the face.
- Place objects eye-catching on the crib of the child to look at when you are awake.
- When the child is awake, put music suavecita to listen to.
- Press with different strength of the palm of the hand of the child, in order to close the hand and feel the different intensities.
- Talk to the child near him and far away.
- Take it in your arms and mézalo gently, change of position, also in a soft way (face down to face up and vice versa, in the vertical position, etc., but always in a gentle way). So the child vivenciará bodily sensations.
- Gently place your hand (stroking, massaging or pressing gently) on the floor of the baby's foot, so that it reacts in the way it reflects.
- Talk to him, gently stroke him on the cheeks, mouth, head, massage gently onto feet and hands while you look at it, smell it, and take advantage of it, especially when breastfeeding. This will facilitate the attachment between you, and you will be giving security, trust and love.
Stimulation to children in the 1°quarter of life (1 – 4 months)
- Present the child with different objects (a blanket, his finger, the nipple, etc) for the succioné and go, little by little, discriminating between what nourishes and what does not.
- Wipe with a rattle is lightweight to move and make sound. In addition, this will facilitate the transfer of an object from one hand to another.
- Lift the child and place in front of a mobile, blow these and observe the reaction of the child. If you show excitement by waving their arms and legs, move closer to them to move in their hands.
- Always talk to her and smile at her soft and lovingly. Complements the above with caresses and hugs. Put it on your abdomen, rotating from one side to the other.
Stimulation for children between 4 and 8 months
- Leave it in the cradle and the extent of the baby's hand, objects in eye-catching different colors and textures of sufficient size to take them with your hand, but not be able to swallow it whole, without any parts that might become detached. Encourage your child to grip and play with them. At this age the child will begin to sit with support and to free your hands of that support to take the objects.
- In front of the child sitting, place a bowl of empty and drop into toys; deliver them 1 to 1 for the child to imitate her action, leaving it to fall also. If to the child it is difficult to release the objects, ábrale fingers gently to learn how to drop the toys, enjoying the sound produced by the fall.
- Give the child a plastic bottle very well covered, with water to the half; wait for the child to shake the jar and observe the visual effect; it is likely to repeat the action.
- When you are bathing the child (in a bath, by plato, or large tub), offer a rubber puppet and húndalo you with their hands, the doll will come to the fore; let the child manipulate the toy and perhaps repeat the action.
- Play by covering objects with a diaper and stimulating the baby to discover.
Stimulation for children between 8 and 12 months
- Give the child a toy and then ask him for it. At the beginning receive in the hand and gradually go away for the baby to look for ways of passing it (throwing it, rotating it, etc.).
- When the child shows interest by 1 object, place it in a location difficult to reach by the same child (for example, a little higher). Shake the object to get their attention and try to get it by some other means (stretching, standing leaning on you, pulling your other hand or dress, etc). Reward any effort the child, and delivered him the toy.
- Insert a small toy in a jar with a lid, so try destaparlo and get the toy.
- Put behind you a target striking for the child (he shall observe all the movement). Move at regular intervals, leaving to see the object and re-plug the hole. Let your child learn for himself, either crawling around, pulling you to remove it, etc
- If the child is taking the bottle and release it, let by yourself the seek, find and re-take it.
- When the child has 2 toys, 1 in each hand, provide a 3° to find a way to receive it. You may be pulling 1 of which you have in hand, carrying it to the mouth, passing it to the other hand, etc
- Give him / her toys that make noise or have music. Sing to your baby, play with the rhythms, tapping sticks or other objects (a drum, for example). Leave your scope objects in a different color, texture, and even odor, ensuring a size that it can not be introduced into the mouth or have small parts detachable.
- Allow a broad surface, and safe for crawling, just a blanket on the ground, free of dangerous objects. Sit him in front of a mirror. It is suggested not to use walker because of the risks of trauma and, in addition, it does not contribute to a proper learning of the march (walk).