- The main cause is attributed to the contact with the saliva of adults, particularly mothers, who perform actions as simple as sharing utensils or kissing on the mouth to their children.
- It is a disease is 100% preventable as long as the parents are concerned about the oral hygiene, by accustoming the baby from 3 months of age.
Currently, dental caries is the chronic infectious disease most common among children at the global level. According to the Ministry of Health (Moh), in Chile a 17% of children under two years of age already suffer from what is referred to as “Early Caries of The Childhood”; a pathology that progresses rapidly in baby teeth –which are present from the 6 months to 13 years,–, because, unlike the permanent, the enamel is thinner and the nerve, which is thicker, is closer to the surface.
The establishment of the flora of the mouth, specifically the bacterium Streptococcus mutans is considered the main pathogenic agent that causes the dental caries. Dr. Neide Thome, dentist Clinic Tooth of Milk, he explains, “in infants, the organism acquires greater importance because its colonization starts in the eruption of the tooth (6 months), known as Window of Infectivity”.
Such colonization could occur by transmission of saliva from the mother to the child during its first 30 months of life, then you perform actions as simple as, for example, share utensils, taste food, or kiss him in the mouth. The high presence of sugar in foods (soft drinks, fruit juices, candy, and even the breast milk of free-on-demand), coupled with a poor oral hygiene, it is also one of the most common causes of this multifactorial disease.
Thus, the specialist ensures that “dental decay is a disease is 100% preventable, so it is essential to begin to take care of the teeth of our children since they are babies, and to encourage good habits of diet and oral hygiene in the home”.
5 practical tips
Then dr. Thome delivered some recommendations to the parents that help to prevent the development of diseases and dental complications of their children in the future:
- Clean tongue and gums, starting in the third month of life with a wet gauze or a thimble of silicone by gently rubbing with the index finger after the milk.
- Brush once erupcione the first milk tooth, mainly in the evenings, with a special brush for babies and a small amount of toothpaste with fluoride (a grain of uncooked rice) after 2 years.
- Suspend nipples night when erupt the teeth. To stimulate early use of special vessels to replace them.
- The first medical consultation should be, at least, at 6 months of age to a pediatric dentist orient the parents with important information about the promotion of oral health from infants.
- Customized treatment Plan: through regularly scheduled visits, a dentist can monitor the teeth eruption is to keep the baby with low risk of caries. The visits are prolonged during all critical stages of the dentition of the milk until the completion of the permanent dentition.