Summer, blessed summer, the date preferred by many women because it involves a beach, pool, bikini's and lots of sun. But eye, that , in addition to taking precautions with regard to UV rays and always wear protective, we should not pass that the sun also causes allergies, which are important to detect and treat on time.
By the same, is the Medical Director of Central Klinic, Dr. Alejandra Rios, tells us everything we need to know to be cautious about the allergies that can be caused because of the sun that we like.
Allergic reactions that cause the sun
Allergies to the sun are produced by a photosensitization, which means that it modifies the response to ultraviolet light, producing a skin reaction, abnormal product of the combination of a chemical substance (such as drugs) and exposure to the sun.
This photosensitization can be phototoxic (which occurs in any person and is dependent on the concentration of the substance photosensitizing) or it can be fotoalérgica in which there is an immune response that may be urticarial or delayed with papules or pimples, and eczema.
According to Dr. Alejandra Rios, allergies to the sun can be started at different ages: ‘’The itching active (feeling uncomfortable and disgusting skin product from the sun) usually begin during childhood, but there are occasions in which it is presented late between the second and third decade. If it is a fotodermatosis (set of alterations in the skin) in genetic and /or metabolic can also present in childhood. Hives (urticaria), solar is more and more young women, and the solar elastosis (skin aging) is at higher ages’.
How do I know if I have an allergy to the sun?
If exposed to the sun, show some of these symptoms then you should consult a dermatologist because it is possible that yours is an allergy to the sun:
- Redness (that can also affect the eyes coming to the swelling).
- Appearance of vesicles or blisters.
- Spots and redness of the skin, which then gets rough.
- Pain or burning sensation, accompanied by much itching.
.In addition, Dr. Rivers warned that ‘the areas most exposed to the sun, such as face, neck, neckline, and arms, are more inclined to suffer allergies. This must be treated with anti-allergy creams and specific, indicated by a specialist’.
Allergies to the sun are not all the same, if not there are different levels depending on the type of exposure and the phototype of the skin.
- Acute exposure: refers to the time when the person does not get sun on a regular basis and on one occasion is described in a schedule of high radiation and a time required for your skin originating from an inflammatory reaction that can reach to edema or swelling and formation of vesicles.
- Prolonged exposure: refers to a time greater than one month was exposed to solar radiation and is activated phenomena of protection as the pigmentation or blemishes in all its forms, in addition to a thickening of the epidermal.
- Chronic exposure: refers to a person who daily is exposed to the radiation, either for their work or place of residence or daily practice of outdoor sports. Occurs with aging in the exposed areas, and possible occurrences of precancerous lesions or even cancer.
The first thing is to know that the allergies to the sun are always going to be determined by the amount of exposure to the sun and avoid prolonged exposure between 11:00 and 16:00 hrs.
In addition, you have to be very aware that there are certain factors which can enhance the allergy to the sun: ‘There are many drugs and compounds present in creams that can produce photosensitivity reactions. Be careful with the antibiotics (tetracycline and derivatives, phenothiazine, furosemide, ciprofloxacin and griseofulvin), anti-inflammatory, contraceptives, aspirin, vitamin A and its derivatives as estrogen, isotretinoin which is used for the treatment of acne and also some anti-anxiety meds’, warns Dr. Rivers.
On the other hand, the specialist indicated that suffer from allergies to the sun, you should use blockers of pharmaceutical cosmetic, produce locking to ultraviolet radiation of wave length A and B and are tested dermatologically.
Finally, keep in mind that there are certain viruses which are activated by excellence with the sun, as is the case of the herpes simplex virus in people that are carrying