In the days of heat we have to be careful not to neglect our intimate area. The sea or a bath in the pool could cause infections in the genital area (our area) if we do not have precautions, such as, for example, don't stay with wet bathing suit, among other things.
Then the expert in dysfunction of pelvic floor and sexuality, Odette Freundlich, providing guidelines to better take care of our intimate area in this time of heat.
- Does the sea or the sand could damage the intimate area?
If, as the salt or sand to have contact with the female genitalia, can cause irritation in the genital area, even more so if these remain for a prolonged period of time.
- Is it advisable to use soap to clean our intimate area?
It is best not to use soap, but if you're accustomed to and you can't quit, you have to choose a soap for intimate care, hopefully neutral, hypo-allergenic, for genitals, that contains the proper PH for the vaginal area and then dry very well.
- Is it bad to use deodorant intimate to our genital area?
It is very wrong to use deodorants, or douches, as these can cause irritation in the area, allergy, change the vaginal PH, altering the bacterial balance own vagina ,favoring infections.
- Why women are more prone to urinary tract infections?
The female urethra is much shorter than the male. The perineum is the space that separates the anus from the vagina, usually measures 3 cm
Often crawling germs or bacteria from the anus to the vagina and urethra, which ascend up to the bladder, causing urinary tract infections, low or reach up to the kidneys causing urinary tract infections high or Pyelonephritis.
- Can you give infections in the genital area by excessive sweating, or heat?
Excessive sweating or excessive moisture, if you can cause irritation and infection in the area cool, as this is the environment that attracts germs or bacteria to breed.
It is recommended that cotton underwear, sleep without underwear to ventilate the area, do not wear nylon pantyhose without panties underneath and keep the genital area dry.
- What kind of underwear is most appropriate for these hot days?
The underwear is the cotton, as it absorbs the perspiration, and should not be wearing tight clothes.
- Can increase the vaginal infections in the summer?
If, in the summer increase the vaginal infections, and genital organs by excess of heat, sweating and humidity in the area.
Usually we take more fluid, urinate more frequently, being able to stay more amount of residue in the genitals.
Therefore, it is recommended to maintain proper genital hygiene, I wish to wash after urinating or having a bowel movement and wipe from front to back.
- How to take proper care of the intimate area in the summer?
In the summer we recommend:
- Sleep without underwear to air out the genital area.
- Use cotton undergarments.
- Avoid staying with wet bathing suit for long periods of time.
- After a bath in the sea, showering in and out well-the salt and the sand.
- Use panty liners without plastic mesh.
- Avoid excessive sweating.
- Wash the genital area in the morning and in the evening.
- Dry very well to avoid moisture in the genital area.
- Do not use scented tampons.
- Wash your panties in the shower with a mild soap and dry it in the wind or sun, not in the clothes dryer.
- Do not use fabric softener fragrance.
Director of Center Miintimidad
Kinesiologist specialist in dysfunctions of the pelvic floor and sexuality