The cracks in the breasts are suffered by 20% of women who breastfeed. Is accompanied with pain, and the consequent anxiety, sleep problems and decreased milk production.
The cracks leave the chest vulnerable to staph bacteria, which cause mastitis and abscesses in the chest. The reasons are linked with the suction, poor posture of the baby, rubbing with clothing or contact with irritants such as soap.
How do you avoid them?
- Make sure that the baby's mouth is at the same height of the nipple so that he can suckle the whole areola, not just the tip of the nipple.
- Do not apply any disinfectant product that is highly aromatic or drying out the area as well as alcohol some glycerin, cologne, perfume, deodorant, talcum powder or soap.
- Dry the nipples after feeding the baby, cerciorándote of the traces of moisture that may promote injury.
- Avoid packs that facilitate the secretion of milk, as the discs for milk, plastic coated on both sides, because they hold the moisture on the nipples.
- To relieve the pain, leave the nipples to the air; you can take off your bra between feeds.
- Apply a little cream neutral, powdered clay, petroleum jelly, lanolin or cream homeopathic to base of Castor Equi, the tip of the nipple.
- If you have a crack in the chest, keeps the baby suck on the breast that doesn't hurt so much. But anyway you'll have to pump milk regularly from it, either manually or with an electric breast pump, to give to the small. This is a good option to not discontinue breastfeeding because of the pain.
- Specialists point out that the mother can continue breastfeeding despite the cracks, because the pain disappears after a few minutes, once the milk ejection reflex has manifested. It begins with the chest that does not have cracks and, gradually, manually extracted the milk from the breast cracked up to achieve the ejection reflex. When you get it, the baby can suckle.
- Varies the positions of lactanciapara are dealt evenly to the suction pressure on the different areas of the breast.
- Used poultices of antiflogistina or alumina, as well as creams healing as Madecassol.
- Passes a piece of ice or a bag of ice on your nipple before nursing, since the cold relieves the pain instantly and hardens the nipple.
- Exponte directly to the light of the sun and ultraviolet rays, due to its wound healing properties.