The oral health in pregnancy is particularly delicate, since the hormonal changes can make gums more sensitive and nausea can contribute to that is more complicated to carry a proper hygiene. In addition, the acid from vomiting can cause erosion of enamel and sores in the mouth. And, although it is difficult, we are going to see that the oral hygiene is fundamental if you suffer from nausea in the pregnancy and we will explain to you how to carry it out.
Because maintaining a proper hygiene are going to prevent periodontal diseases, which pose a risk to the pregnancy, even when the own toothpaste will cause nausea. And is that, especially if you have severe dizziness or hyperemesis gravidarum, probably one of the smells that does not supports the dentifrice.
Then, not only the simple fact of eating, brushing the teeth is a problem: the foam of the toothpaste in the mouth can cause nausea and vomiting. What to do in these cases? These are the tips to maintain proper oral hygiene if you have nausea in pregnancy.
- When possible, if it is in any time of the day you feel better, brush your teeth with a toothpaste that contains fluoride and floss. If you will do better, don't rinse after brushing, you simply remove the remains of pasta from the mouth.
- Don't brush your teeth immediately after vomiting because the acid of the stomach softens the tooth enamel and it is easier to go by removing. Better after vomiting, rinse the mouth with a mouthwash with fluoride or with water. It is advisable to wait at least 20 minutes in between the vomiting and the brushing of teeth, so the enamel to re-harden.
- Use a toothpaste and a rinse of taste and odor mild, there are some specific fairly neutral and without foaming agents, although it is possible that, among the usual, it has one that doesn't cause repulsion. It is a matter of taste.
- If you can't tolerate any toothpaste, try brushing without toothpaste, which at least would reduce the plate effectively. If it is the brush that upset, you can try to rub the teeth with a gauze pad or with the finger, perhaps with a bit of pasta.
- In terms of toothbrushes, it is advisable to use a brush of medium hardness with a head not very large, because many times the large size of the brush can cause nausea if it is introduced too.
- Probably, you'll have to try the manual toothbrush or electric to see if you tolerate it better one of the two. Sometimes, it's the strong vibrations and faster than a brush rechargeable electric which can increase the nausea, perhaps you need a brushing more gentle (manual or brushes, disposable battery).
- If we start by cleaning the back teeth first is it delays the contact of the toothpaste with the taste buds (which potentially causes the vomiting).
- If you're very prone to cavities, you can consult the gynecologist and the dentist if it is appropriate a toothpaste and mouthwash with a high fluoride concentration.
- Although the sugars and carbohydrates can promote dental caries, tend to be needed to mitigate the nausea, and probably take as snacks (sandwiches, biscuits, etc). If what you tolerate, chew sugar-free gum with xylitol after meals (the xylitol inhibits the appearance of plate).
- If you take often sugar-sweetened beverages or sodas, you should use a straw so the acid and sugar does not scrape the teeth.
- Visit the dentist at least once during the pregnancy and if you have any oral problems, you must not let pass.