We know as hydrocephalus accumulation of fluid in the cavities of the brain (cerebrospinal fluid – CSF) which in excessive amounts cause severe damage to the ventricles. Hydrocephalus occurs as a congenital and among its causes include genetic problems that develop during gestation, on the other hand, there is the hydrocephalus acquired; it occurs after birth, can occur at any age, and among their causes are: trauma to the height of the head, tumors, strokes, infections, and brain hemorrhage.
This condition was known in antiquity as “water on the brain”, later studies showed that it was not water but cerebrospinal fluid, the colorless surrounding the spinal cord and the brain.
In hydrocephalus acquired the symptoms are:
- Strong headache
- Nausea and vomiting
- Balance problems
- Loss of memory
- Blurred vision
Causes of hydrocephalus:
One out of every thousand children born is diagnosed with hydrocephalus, however, the acquired may appear at any time, especially after the age of 60 years. Among its main causes are:
- Infections in the meninges
- Head injuries
- Brain abscesses
- A tumoral pathology
How to diagnose fetal hydrocephalus?
- During the 18th and 20th weeks of gestation, ultrasound detected the increased size of the ventricles.
- Using x-rays, to obtain images of the tissues, internal organs and bones.
- Through a ct scan, this one performs intakes, cross-sections of the body and shows you in detail the complications that presents for the baby, above any other study.
Treatment according to the severity of hydrocephalus:
- The doctors will drain the fluid with the aim of reducing the pressure on the baby's head.
- By the insertion of a needle between the lumbar vertebrae, the specialists will start the extraction of the liquid.
- In some cases, performs surgical intervention. During the surgery is placed a device that drains the fluid, which is sent to other parts of the body and later expelled naturally.
- Depending on the early detection of hydrocephalus the faster you can put under treatment and observation the patient, is critical, since the care must be for life.
- In babies it is essential to consult with the specialist what vitamins you should take to not to alter the biochemistry of the liquid brain.
- It is of great help for women planning a pregnancy be medical tests that you have to discard any infection or disease that can produce hydrocephalus in the baby.