Weaning night is not just a dream, if we teach the baby to sleep all night, surely does not wake up crying because he's hungry, so together with our partner we can rest the necessary hours. To do this, the nurse and midwife White Ossa delivers us excellent recommendations that you cannot leave overlook.
Specialist: Blanca Ossa, nurse midwife, UC
It is possible for the baby to ask for breast during the night, with the same frequency as it does during the day, this will generate little we rest as that will keep us with the low energies the next day. However, we must respect the times of the baby, so that initially we need to assess if you are ready for the weaning, and do so in a respectful manner.
Will you be ready my child for weaning night?
- The age at which babies may begin the weaning night is approximately between 4 and 6 months, but always depend on each baby.
- It is at this age that infants consume during the day, enough calories to sleep five or six hours straight in the night. But it can also be some smaller babies can sleep in longer intervals even larger.
- Although the nutritional needs are met, your child will need to meet their psychological needs, as the feeling curled up in her arms.
- If you have already returned to work, it is likely that your child claiming your presence that night or what to do when you start to get teeth. In addition you may already be accustomed to waking up at night and do it out of habit and not because you are hungry.
- It is for this reason that the weaning night should be done gradually and gently, considering the great need of every baby to receive love and feel safe near you.
- Many experts agree that giving him milk at night without the need can cause sleep problems, as it establishes a vicious circle that is hard to break.
- However, if for you is not a problem to wake up at night would not be good to accelerate this process. Is more, you can consider the benefits of the nighttime shots, as they serve to enhance the bond between parents and children.
But if for the health and well-being of the rest of the family you opt for the weaning at night, we give you some practical advice:Read also: Mastitis, when it hurts to breastfeed
- You have to worry about that is to eat right day: as your child develops it becomes more and more active, so you can be sure that you feed well day, program to breastfeed or bottle in a quiet place without distractions.
- Take advantage of feeding in the afternoon: at this time give shots extra milk, so you will be satisfied all night.
- The process should be gradual: if your child asks for the breast in the night you can start to offer each breast to your baby for less time, or when you give the bottle to give less at each feeding. Increases the intervals between each feeding, stroking it in the back and rocking for a return to be asleep, tell him that milk taken in the morning and that the night is time to sleep. Be firm but gentle, with the time understand the meaning of what you say and your presence so calm down. Can your child cry it out only a night or two before adapting to the move system.
- Do not start weaning night in a period of transition for your child, such as when you re at work or on holiday. If you're less time with your child in the day, when you are with him give him more attention and affection, so that you always feel connected with you and not need to seek you to-night.
If these tips do not give you results, and your child cries inconsolably for several nights in a row, you have to be reasonable. Go back to your normal routine, and test again in a couple of weeks.Read also: Problems of breastfeeding