Smoking during breastfeeding is very detrimental to the health of your baby, the tobacco favors the appearance of respiratory diseases and increases the risk of sudden death. As mothers we want the well-being of our children, for that reason, facemamá has sought the opinion of experts in the topic to give you all the information about it
Expert: Alfredo Fredericksen, an ob-gyn Clinic Vespucio
Premature birth, low birth weight and disorders in your respiratory system, are only some of the negative effects of smoking during pregnancy.
A Danish study showed that mothers who smoke may see diminished their ability to transport iodine, which can affect the breastfed baby. During the period of breastfeeding, thyroid function of the infant depends on the amount of iodine in the breast milk, it is for this reason that smoking is a predisposing factor for the presence of problems in the brain development of the infant.
According to the ob / gyn Clinic Vespucio, Alfredo Fredericksen “nicotine can reduce prolactin and therefore milk production. It is also known that the cigarette reduces the body's ability to absorb some vitamins and minerals.”
Effects of smoking during lactation
- Tobacco is harmful to health, the addictive nature of the cigarette has been compared to heroin.
- It is proven that nicotine, which is the element best-known and most addictive, passes into breast milk, but not in levels that can be toxic to the baby.
- However, “it is demonstrated that the stimulating effect of the nicotine produces irritability and sleep disturbance of the baby. But the most serious problem for the newly born is the cigarette smoke, which has more than 3,800 constituents, and puts the child in the condition of passive smoking, increasing the risk of respiratory infections, bronchial asthma, sudden death and cancer.”
- Leave him for preferring the cigar not only prevent you from breastfeeding effective, but the actual possibility of generating the attachment mother and son.
- This is why it is necessary to quit smoking to breastfeed your baby. Now, if you decide to discontinue breastfeeding, you'll be able to prevent nicotine, tobacco and all the chemicals in the cigarette, pass it to your son for the milk. But even if you go out to smoke outside, in your body and clothing will continue to be elements of this addiction and the remains of the smoke that just affect the health and proper development of your baby.
Tips for mothers who smoke
The ideal thing would be to leave the cigarette, for the well-being of the mother and the baby, but otherwise, we suggest the following:
- No smoking inside the house or in the baby's environment.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 hours prior to breastfeeding.
- Change your clothes to the waste of the cigar does not reach your baby.
- Wash your mouth and hands after smoking to avoid the contact of your baby with these elements.
- To the extent possible, after the cleaning, then used alcohol gel for your hands.