There are in the world millions of cases of people with fertility problems, it is for this reason that the medicine is working tirelessly to give them the opportunity to become parents and form a family, and the ovarian stimulation is one treatment that has been used now to increase the quantity and quality of eggs in women.
What is the purpose of ovarian stimulation?
It has as goal, to make moving several follicles so that they will release some eggs that are mature enough to increase the chances of success in treatments such as: in vitro fertilization, insemination, assisted, or ICSI.
- This treatment may benefit women with irregular menstrual cycles or anovulatory (menstruation without ovulation), in addition, it also helps women with bookings ovarian low.
- It is true that the quality and quantity of eggs decreases with age, and this is natural, especially after the age of 35 years.
- Between 35 and 40 years is the ideal time to perform this type of treatment.
- After 43 years it is advisable that the woman goes to the egg donor, as it is more feasible to achieve a pregnancy with own eggs.
When and how to perform the ovarian stimulation
- The first step is the supply of hormones that lasts between 12 and 14 days, these stimulate the follicles to make them mature.
- Are injections that are applied on the abdomen.
- The woman will perform two controls in this period: ultrasounds to monitor the follicles and blood tests to measure the level of estradiol (the hormone that tells the follicle maturation).
- When the doctor observes that at least two follicles have matured, program, puncture to extract the eggs.
When it comes to artificial insemination, the stimulation is lower, to avoid the risk of a multiple pregnancy, unless the patient what you want, and your body this suitable to do this.
What are the risks?
- Weight gain.
- Abdominal pain.
- Changes of humor.
- Multiple pregnancy.
- In some cases the ovary is usually swollen as a result of an ovarian hyperstimulation.