Are called premature babies those that are born before the 37th week of gestation, and due to the complications that can occur with birth before term need for medical attention, extra, this is because various factors of your health are involved.
Among the conditions that may present to a premature baby are:
- Immaturity in the lungs.
- Difficulty regulating body temperature.
- Poor feeding.
- Little weight gain.
The good news for parents and families of premature babies is that in Australia , it has made a discovery that has come to revolutionize the treatment and the diet to prevent problems in the mental development of small children, who fail to be born at term.
The investigation was conducted by the University of Adelaide and found that “premature babies have a greater chance of getting a normal mental development if you take high doses of fatty acids through breast milk or an infant formula”.
Similarly, the specialists responsible for the research claimed that “this is due to docosahexaenoic acid, also called omega-3 fatty acid, is not developed enough in the brain of children born with less than 33 weeks of gestation. This is why many of them suffer from disturbances in mental development”.
Weight gain and nutrition neonatal
- Babies born before the 37th week of gestation (preterm) have large nutritional needs.
- Usually, when a baby is born prematurely, they will remain in the neonatal intensive care unit.
- They must keep a careful control to ensure that the baby is getting the amount of liquids and food necessary.
- The incubators will enable babies to maintain their body temperature.
- Often, have problems feeding from a bottle or from the breast, this because they are born with problems to coordinate the breathing, sucking and swallowing.
- Breast milk is essential to prevent the child from infections, diseases and also help you gain healthy weight.