In this article you will find:
- Arthritis canine
- Developmental dysplasia of the hip
The dogs, the faithful friends of the human, loving, companions, intelligent and bold, live shooting and we nourish the life with much affection, they as living beings have emotions and pains, joys and sorrows, as their leaders, we must be aware of their care, and diseases.
Taking into account the health and stability of our great friends, we tell you what are the most common diseases in dogs, the symptoms, and when it is time to go to the vet for an immediate review.
Despite the fact that many of the cases of osteoarthritis are manifested especially in older animals, overweight, and especially in large breeds, this condition can strike at any pet including dogs of any age, size and race.
Signs to know if my pet has this disease
- Reluctance to walk, climb stairs, jump or play.
- Limp for no reason visible and permanent
- You get tired frequently during the walks.
- You have difficulty rising from a resting position.
- Complaining crying or barking out of pain when touched.
- Is resistant to contact with us.
- The cold, sudden weather changes or heavy exercise make the pain worse and make more obvious signs.
- When you adopt a pet you should know that just like humans, can suffer diseases such as arthritis.
The veterinarian is the ideal person who is qualified to give the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of this pathology. This is why it is necessary for a periodic inspection in the case of the cubs, while the adult animal must be at least every six months.
Developmental dysplasia of the hip
We speak of a bad congruence of the hip (cavity acetabular) femoral heads that may appear luxadas or subluxadas. In joints with some alteration, observed from a slight to large lateral movement of the femoral heads – subluxations – that allow the game “articulate”. The effect is to injure, inflame, and eventually weaken the joint of the hip. The amount of synovial fluid increases and the round ligament swells and stretches.
Manifestations in your pet
- Exercise intolerance, increases the difficulty to jump or to take pain to palpation or standing up.
- Sounds of the snapping movements or forced gait.
- Muscle atrophy, increase in aggression due to pain.
- Restriction of the movements of the hip.
- Difficulty running or jumping.
Some puppies do not show symptoms and llagan to adulthood, coexisting quite well with the condition but are carriers of genetic and potential transmitters to their offspring. The manifestation with all its signs will appear sooner or later.
Epilepsy can be defined as a discharge electrochemistry of the brain, which can occur at any time and that is repetitive in time, that is to say, the patient repeats his crisis for most of his life time.
What is characteristic of this disease is that these episodes of muscle hyperactivity seizure is repeated in the time, demonstrating in the sick, an absolute normal organic between these crises.
The symptoms depend on the place of origin of the electric shock:
- If it is throughout the cerebral cortex, the animal falls aside, with great stiffness, and pedalling.
- This is manifested with great salivation, defecation and urination.
- These signs last for about a minute and a half, then begins the signs of the postictus, which are extreme excitability, the animal runs aimlessly, colliding with objects.
- Another form of presentation is the depressive, in which the patient enters in a light sleep or deep that can last for hours.
- In animals suffering from epilepsy should avoid sources of tension. It has been reported that these episodes can start by hormonal effect in females so it is recommended to sterilize both males and females.
The treatment consists in the administration of anticonvulsants for support, these medicines impede in any way the neurons epileptic to shoot and disseminate their electric shock. Phenobarbital should be given two times a day and minimum for 6 months.
In any case, owners should be calm, because dogs can live with your treatment as normal.Read also: dogs protect children from asthma