Breastfeeding plays a fundamental role in the recovery of the mother, and it is the best food for the newborn. But the discomfort in the breasts can make it difficult to this stage so important for both of you. White Ossa, nurse midwife, explains on how to prevent cracks in the nipples.
During the first weeks after childbirth, the pain and cracked nipples are the main problems related to breastfeeding. To know how to prevent and treat these ailments, it is essential to continue in the proper manner with the nutrition of the small.
“The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends that breastfeeding be used as exclusive method of feeding during the first six months of baby's life, as a minimum, and then continue breastfeeding with complementary feeding until after 2 years of age,” says White Ossa.
However, this is not always true. Even some moms choose to leave in certain periods of the lactation, due to several social and economic factors, but also to the cracks in the nipples and pain in the breasts.
According to the results of a study called “management of nipple pain and/or injuries associated with breastfeeding”, published by BestPractice, the identification of the factors that cause the discomfort in your breasts and the management of these causes with treatments, appropriate premises, would have a good result and it would accomplish the breastfeeding to develop in a continuous manner.
How to prevent cracks in the nipples
This study points out that the ideal is to start with the care before they produce the first discomfort, and so to prepare the nipple for the whole of the activity to which it will be faced with the arrival of the baby. For this, it is recommended that you do the following:Also read: Sore breasts during breastfeeding
- Applying warm-water compresses if you are very congested or hard.
- Keep your nipples and breasts clean and dry always.
- If there is a chance, expose 1 minute daily the nipple in the sun.
- The most important thing is to achieve a correct grip of the child to the breast, that is to say, to avoid that is to take only the tip of the nipple and achieve a large part of the areola is inside his mouth.
- Avoid pulling to remove the child from the chest, for this we introduce a finger in your mouth, or lowered the chin, to disarm the emptiness inside of the mouth. Then recently there is removed.
- Apply breast milk on nipple and areola after feeding your child.
In case you develop cracks, it is recommended that you consult with a lactation specialist so that together you review what part of the technique should be to improve and thus prevent future injuries.
If you already have cracks in the breasts and you want to know how to treat them, click here.